New TSi Seats

Model Specific Discussions about the Sling TSi.
MTJ

New TSi Seats

Post by MTJ »

I have been shipped the new seats but not the build manual, hence the confusion. TAF sent me the instructions.

Cluemeister

Re: New TSi Seats

Post by Cluemeister »

How do these compare to the old seats, and why the design change?
PhilipRueker
Site Admin

Post by PhilipRueker »

Cluemeister wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:51 am How do these compare to the old seats, and why the design change?
It looks like the bottom hinge has been changed to now be a solid part of the bottom and seat back.

The "old" design had a moving two-part hinge:
Building a Sling TSi in my Garage.
Build Log | Timelapse Progress Videos
MTJ

Post by MTJ »

The seat back is a little taller.

Found some "Gotchas" already in the plans....

Seat Base missing 2 holes (1 a side) for the rivet for the hinge bracket. Not a big deal I drilled in myself

Parts list refers to rivets HW-253 counter-sunk to put the seat together. HW-153 domed were packed. The domed makes more sense. No reference in the plans to countersink the drilled holes. I left those clecoed until I hear from TAF.

NO rivet direction arrows on any page.

Pg3 rivet instructions on the seat adjuster are in contradiction with Pag4 rivet mounting instructions to bottom of the seat. If you follow the instructions on Pg3 to rivet the assembly together as depicted you will realize you have to drill them out to mount to the bottom of the seat. A “DO NOT RIVET” circle and arrow should be added.

The cotter pins HW-CPN-202 are not referenced in the plans, only in the parts list. (I did figure it out)

And, of course, someone in parts thinks I am only building one seat. :roll:
MTJ

Post by MTJ »

Per Mike at TAF, these seats DO require the HW-253 counter sunk rivets on the sides of the seat base so break out your 120 degree no-mar counter sink tool. He explained it is for room in mounting the seats in the aircraft.
MTJ

Post by MTJ »

Does anyone have any installation instructions associated with the new seats?

#slingsupport
Sling Technical Official
Sling Aircraft Official

Post by Sling Technical Official »

Hi MTJ

The new TSI seat assembly instructions are available on dropbox in the TSI fuselage construction manual.
Please send an email to Technical@slingaircraft.com if you are not linked to our dropbox yet.
permagray

Post by permagray »

Well, I think I figured out that I have a franken-config regarding the seats. Fortunately, I have yet to sink the rivets, but my cleco-ing has been an interesting process. I believe I have:

1 Two seat bottoms and backs that are old style
2 One custom made seat bottom and rails of the new style to get me some addnl. headroom.
3 Hardware/channels, etc. for the new style seats - which is how I discovered this cluster config.
permagray

Post by permagray »

For the new seats - the instructions say to start riveting from the back. However, I suspect that the bottom row of rivets for the headrest plate should be riveted from the front. Any thoughts?
#slingsupport
Sling Technical Official
Sling Aircraft Official

Post by Sling Technical Official »

The instructions are not clear enough and we will add the required information. The bottom row of rivets can be rivetted from the front as you mentioned.