Aileron

Model Specific Discussions about the Sling TSi.
MTJ

Aileron

Post by MTJ »

I'm setting up the left aileron (the side for which I have complete parts ) and I'm looking at the "Do not Rivet" section of the build manual. I understand the reason is for the alignment but I am wondering about the counter weight. Is it riveted before the alignment?

nothing like paralysis by analysis. :oops:
PhilipRueker
Site Admin

Re: Aileron

Post by PhilipRueker »

The Ailerons are next on the menu for me, I just finished the Pitot tube installation yesterday.

Yes I'd say we'll need to rivet the balance tube first since you need to line up those holes with the pre-drilled holes in the tube and there's not much room for movement there before you do the alignment and rivet the rest of the main line that's marked for do-not-rivet-for-final-alignment after that once you do your alignment.
Building a Sling TSi in my Garage.
Build Log | Timelapse Progress Videos
permagray

Post by permagray »

On page W 9.1 - There is a isometric diagram of parts 8,9, and 10 for a hinge bracket assembly. I would expect that there would be a page between W 9.2 and W 9.3 that would illustrate and provide directions for the assembly of these parts. There is nothing - no mention of rivets required, or direction of assembly. I am reluctant to just "use my best judgement" Are there updated instructions for this?
PhilipRueker
Site Admin

Post by PhilipRueker »

permagray wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:59 am On page W 9.1 - There is a isometric diagram of parts 8,9, and 10 for a hinge bracket assembly. I would expect that there would be a page between W 9.2 and W 9.3 that would illustrate and provide directions for the assembly of these parts. There is nothing - no mention of rivets required, or direction of assembly. I am reluctant to just "use my best judgement" Are there updated instructions for this?
I just finished this part. As you said, the instructions are missing details for this rib, but it was pretty easy to figure it out.
It uses the 4.8 mm rivets and you have to make sure you completely rivet one bracket first, as the other bracket floats above the other bracket.

Writeup on my blog - https://slingtsi.rueker.com/2020/06/10/aileron-ribs/
MTJ

Post by MTJ »

There is a similar "overlap" of hinge parts in the flaps as well. The diagram depicts it as one drawing but it should be a two step rivet process.
permagray

Post by permagray »

Thanks - we did end up using our best judgement on putting it together. I did send the inquiry to TAF and received no response. I have heard they are working constantly on the docs - I have asked, but have received no reply as to why they don't release them incrementally on Dropbox. This forum and putting some stuff on the FB group are my best resources.
permagray

Post by permagray »

We left the holes clecoed but unrivited on the Ailerons per the instructions. When should they be riveted?
PhilipRueker
Site Admin

Post by PhilipRueker »

permagray wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:48 pm We left the holes clecoed but unrivited on the Ailerons per the instructions. When should they be riveted?
When you can check that the alignment is good. So basically, test fit them on the wings and see that the come out straight.
permagray

Post by permagray »

I think they will. But, what if they don't? Since most of the rivets are already in, how would one adjust things?
PhilipRueker
Site Admin

Post by PhilipRueker »

permagray wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:37 am I think they will. But, what if they don't? Since most of the rivets are already in, how would one adjust things?
You would de-rivet some, try to get any bend out and then re-rivet them.