Canada

Want to talk about what it takes to build a plane based on your countries regulations?
What are the procedures to certify an Experimental airplane?
What pieces of equipment do you need for Instrument flying?
Boeing Driver

Canada

Post by Boeing Driver »

Hello All,

Thank you Philip for creating this section of the forum. From my research, different countries have different rules and regulations pertaining to building your own airplane. Since the Sling is a South African airplane, the process how it was approved and certified will be different from your home country. Because I will do the build in Canada, I have done some research on how to get started. First I found the EAA Canada website. Here, you will find some very helpful information on everything EAA related to Canada. https://www.canada.eaachapter.org

This next site you will want to visit is http://www.md-ra.com. Here, you will find the steps on how to start you build. From what I have found is that you first need to submit a Letter of Intent, Construction to the government. Once that is done, you may start your build. Once you have gone as far as you can go with out permanently attaching the skins, you will need to have a Pre-Cover Inspection done. Here, a delegate will make sure that the internal major components of your aircraft are safe and built correctly. If this is all good and in order, you can then apply for a tail number and finish your build. The Final Inspection will then be done and you will move into the test flight portion. From what I see, only 25 hours of non defects flying is required for flight testing and during which, you will need to perform a climb test. You will also have to do a fuel pump test but you can research that in the website.

If there is anything I wrote in error, please let me know and I will amend. Also, if you have any other information regarding the CARs in Canada or how your experience was with MD-RA and Transport Canada, please share your experiences. Thank you and happy building.
msejourne

Re: Canada

Post by msejourne »

Dear Boeing driver,

Thank you ever so much for your information for us Canucks. I'm currently a biz jet drive in Doha, Qatar but plan to build a Sling next year near Ottawa when I move back to Canada "Land of the Taxman". Your links were very useful except the one for the Canada EAA Chapter (https://www.canada.eaachapter.org) does not work. I found this one that works https://www.eaa.org/eaa/news-and-public ... r-contacts.

If I find any more valuable information as I continue my research, I will share it.

Happy building and I can't wait....

Mike
AdriaanG

Post by AdriaanG »

Good day Boeing Driver, thank you for the initial advice. We are in the process of migrating to Canada and should be in Montreal before the end of 2021. I am already in discussions with Sling for a TSi on pricing and getting my homework in place. It looks like we might be two guys (myself and Mike) starting a build in 2022. I have done about 20 hours in the Sling 2 and it is an awesome little planet to fly just for fun and keeping the hours and skills up.

Blessing to all,
Adriaan
kkim1972

Post by kkim1972 »

I am wondering about requirement of the completed parts of A/C for inspection before they are fully enclosed. Can any Canadian Tsi kit owner confirm if both the top and bottom of wing skin must not be rivetted? Or if one side can be rivetted and the other fully exposed for inspection?
ibgarrett

Post by ibgarrett »

There is a Canadian builder I'm following on Instagram who had to remove rivets to open his empennage back up for inspection. I don't know if it was top and/bottom, but I know he had to open it up.
Brian Garrett
kkim1972

Post by kkim1972 »

1. Pre-cover inspection. Probably it is best to leave both sides uncovered.

2. Strangely SLING TSI is still not listed in FAA June 21, 2021 revision of http://www.faa.gov/aircraft/gen_av/ultr ... isting.pdf
The following is a revised listing of aircraft kits that have been evaluated and found eligible in meeting the
“major portion” requirement of Title 14, Code of Federal Regulations (14 CFR) Part 21, Certification
Procedures for Products and Parts, specifically, § 21.191(g).
:
:
The Airplane Factory USA
3401 Airport Dr. Packing List and Parts Listing
Torrence, CA 90505

Sling 2 Standard Build 10/7/15
Revision 3.10 dated 4/8/15

Sling 4 Quick Build 10/7/15
Bill of Materials Revision 0
dated 8/12/15

Intent of Build application form explains:
IF the Kit is not listed on either the TCCA or FAA revised lists of amateur built kits, or the project is of the
builder’s own design, or professional assistance will be employed in the construction or assembly of the aircraft, a
major portion evaluation may be required. Please provide MD-RA Inspection Services form C02E requesting a
51% Major Portion Evaluation.
Did Canadian Sling builder(s) request for "Major Portion Evaluation" w/ $540 service fee?
ROVisscher

Post by ROVisscher »

Technically, the Sling TSi is a Sling 4 TSi as it is a follow-on version of the Sling 4. I believe the Sling 4 is on the approved list.
Best Regards,
Barry Jay
North American Sales and Marketing Manager

The Airplane Factory USA
3401 Airport Drive
Torrance, CA 90505
Office: 424.241.0341
www.airplanefactory.com