Show your workshop

Share your best Photos & Videos of Slings in action (whether it's in flight, on the ground, or in the build).
PhilipRueker
Site Admin

Show your workshop

Post by PhilipRueker »

Hey all,

Let's get some sharing of your workshop going.

I'm building in my 2-car garage, so I have the Fuselage and Wings on a stand behind on one side of the garage.
And my workspace with some EAA 1000 tables, a permanent table and a toolbox on the other side.

Here's a picture of my garage ready to become an actual build space:

Building a Sling TSi in my Garage.
Build Log | Timelapse Progress Videos
AaronG

Re: Show your workshop

Post by AaronG »

Now is a good time to share before the workspace gets too cluttered. One of the considerations about building at home vs build assist was having a year around workshop given the Texas heat. Also considered a hangar space at airport about 15 min away. For several reasons, my wife and I decided to build at home in 2 of 3 car spaces.

With this decision the completed prep to climate control/other the garage workspace before building started included: mini-split ac/heat unit, additional shop lights for proper lighting, replaced garage doors with insulated ones, installing additional electric outlets, blew fiberglass insulation and radiant barrier in attic space above garage. God bless my wife for agreeing to park her car outside during the build period.

I am trying to standardize on 4x2, height adjustable tables from Costco at $40 per. Will be trying to take a modular approach to tables as the needs change over the course of the build. Will be adding one more solid workbench for small machinery mounting. Will see how this goes.

As parts are completed, some will hang from the ceiling and others can go inside the house.

Google Photos
https://photos.app.goo.gl/QSg8RE1WyaRT6xq16
Building Sling TSi since Jan 2020
ebrunye

Post by ebrunye »

Nice shops guys! I like the idea of having several smaller tables that you can place where they need to be. My one long table is usually great, but sometimes not quite long enough or sometimes too long, I should have cut it in half to be 2 smaller ones. Anyway, I dug up an old video of my shop I took right before I started my build-
johncweiser

Post by johncweiser »

Looks like you don’t have wheels on your EAA1000 tables. I am going to build some myself. Do you think they would be helpful or not really? Do you have a way to lock them together or do you just push them next to each other?
PhilipRueker
Site Admin

Post by PhilipRueker »

johncweiser wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:09 am Looks like you don’t have wheels on your EAA1000 tables. I am going to build some myself. Do you think they would be helpful or not really? Do you have a way to lock them together or do you just push them next to each other?
Correct, I don't have wheels on them and just push them together as needed.

For the most part your tables will be very stationary, so I think wheels are not necessary.

The more important thing is to make sure your surface is straight and level when you check alignments, so I actually have some wooden shims under some of the legs as my garage floor has a little bit of a slant.
Building a Sling TSi in my Garage.
Build Log | Timelapse Progress Videos
Brad

Post by Brad »

Building in a "triple" garage (2 cars side by side, with another "car" space sideways at the back).

Just finished building tables and inventorying the tail kit. Just waiting for a couple of tools and we will get stuck in.

2x EAA tables
1x large table on wheels
1x large table fixed (has the C frame on it)
1x small work bench with drill press, bandsaw, belt sander and bench grinder on it - on wheels so I can move it around.
1x paint booth on wheels

ebrunye

Post by ebrunye »

Nice shop Brad, I like the support boxes you built for your C frame dimple tool!
MTJ

Post by MTJ »

I was going to post my workshop but then I saw all those super neat and organized shops....

Here's to the builders that do the best we can with kid toys, garden tools, and other junk in the workshop!
Custom Aircraft Builders

Post by Custom Aircraft Builders »

Nice shop Brad! With the elk in there, I would never feel like I'm building alone. :P
Doug Goodrich
Custom Aircraft Builders, Sling Dealer/Build Center
607-821-2982, Doug@GoodrichAviation.com
Binghamton, New York (KBGM)
ibgarrett

Post by ibgarrett »

Here's my shop walk around... *sigh*... still waiting. :D

Brian Garrett