Alternative Engines

Engine, oil tank, fuel pump and other parts on front of the airplane.
AlabamaSlingPilot

Alternative Engines

Post by AlabamaSlingPilot »

Has anyone looked at or evaluated the use of an alternative Powerplant? There are UL Power, D-Motor, Viking and Aeromentum, and they all have engines in the range of 140 hp and the approximate weight of the Rotax 915. There may be others, I am just not aware. I know that Sling could not support this, but it does open up some interesting possibilities to someone who might like to push the boundaries. These, after all are experimental and can be modified any way the builder wants. Just wondering if anyone has considered......
ibgarrett

Re: Alternative Engines

Post by ibgarrett »

I noodle this around on occasion. The one that has my eye is the Higgs https://www.ac-aero.com/falcon-fl200/

In talking with these guys at the show, they have engines already running in cars, but their long game has always been aircraft. It's absolutely impressive what they are doing. That's the long game. I'm staying true to the Rotax 915 for my Tsi build as I need to learn more about how the whole thing works together before I start tinkering with an engine that wasn't necessarily designed for the Tsi platform. But to change out a 135/141hp engine for a 210hp engine that runs JetA? It has my attention.

In speaking with one of the vendors at Oshkosh this past week. He is working on his RV-10 with the next model up https://www.ac-aero.com/hawkrv10/ The RV-10 running that engine will definitely smoke most things out there with the additional horsepower and less weight.
Brian Garrett
Cluemeister

Post by Cluemeister »

I think every plane has their strengths and weaknesses. In the case of the Tsi, the Rotax 915 is one of its greatest strengths. Sips fuel, runs on mogas or 100LL, turbocharged, fadec, etc. YMMV :D
scout

Post by scout »

just my two cents,,,
The rotax 915 at 141hp is pretty anemic. for example a cirrus sr22. has a 1/10 weight/hp ratio. the tsi has a 1/14 weight/hp ratio. ouch ! now edge performances 917 would be sweet !! if it makes 165hp that's 1/12. If it makes 200 hp that's 1/10.

random info, the ac aero, is about 5" longer and 5" taller than the rotax 915. but has 300hp. tbo 3000. sadly $58,000 ( also I still believe not used in a single real aircraft )
lutorm

Post by lutorm »

scout wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:37 am The rotax 915 at 141hp is pretty anemic. for example a cirrus sr22. has a 1/10 weight/hp ratio. the tsi has a 1/14 weight/hp ratio. ouch ! now edge performances 917 would be sweet !! if it makes 165hp that's 1/12. If it makes 200 hp that's 1/10.

random info, the ac aero, is about 5" longer and 5" taller than the rotax 915. but has 300hp. tbo 3000. sadly $58,000 ( also I still believe not used in a single real aircraft )
What's the fuel burn of an sr22 though? The efficiency of the Rotax is one of the best parts of the Sling, IMHO. I was considering the edge performance options when I was deciding on what plane to build but (having flown behind a VW) I'm going to go conservative with the TSi.
Blog of various projects: https://blog.familjenjonsson.org/blog/
scout

Post by scout »

at 15,000 about 10gph. at 8000 about 13gph. but if you get there faster,, you are using less hours, so less gallons also.
wiseguy59

Post by wiseguy59 »

I've been looking at Edge Performance, seeing they can give me a little more power than the standard Rotaxes without having to go turbocharged.
I'm not looking to get a higher top speed out of my Sling 2, but want to climb out quicker on those high density altitude days.
Their fuel injection reprogramming also nets better economy at no sacrifice to power.
There was a nice article in the February or March issue of Kitplanes regarding their offerings.
I'd also like to have enough power to use a constant speed prop. If not, I'll settle for a nice rate of climb on hot days.
wiseguy59

Post by wiseguy59 »

I've been looking at Edge Performance, seeing they can give me a little more power than the standard Rotaxes without having to go turbocharged.
I'm not looking to get a higher top speed out of my Sling 2, but want to climb out quicker on those high density altitude days.
Their fuel injection reprogramming also nets better economy at no sacrifice to power.
There was a nice article in the February or March issue of Kitplanes regarding their offerings.
I'd also like to have enough power to use a constant speed prop. If not, I'll settle for a nice rate of climb on hot days.
And Edge Performance prices are lower than Rotax's, which doesn't hurt.
lutorm

Post by lutorm »

wiseguy59 wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:12 am I've been looking at Edge Performance, seeing they can give me a little more power than the standard Rotaxes without having to go turbocharged.
And Edge Performance prices are lower than Rotax's, which doesn't hurt.
Yeah, Edge Performance seems to be doing good work, but there's no free lunch -- more power must come from smaller margins. Maybe Rotax is overly conservative and the EP motors are just as reliable, but maybe not. I don't know how many of them are out there accumulating time. I've flown behind an Aerovee, and it wasn't very comforting. For a plane I'm planning to fly my family in, I'll take the margin.
Blog of various projects: https://blog.familjenjonsson.org/blog/