North Carolina Prospective TSi Builder

Come and introduce yourself here.
BaldCaldwell

North Carolina Prospective TSi Builder

Post by BaldCaldwell »

Hello Sling Friends,

My name is Rob Caldwell and I live in Mooresville, NC. Specifically we have a home and a hangar at the Lake Norman Airppark (14A).

I recently completed the build of a Bearhawk 4-Place in May of 2021. I am now considering my next build and the Sling TSi is currently at the top of the list. I was leaning heavily towards the RV-10, but the economics of the Sling, easy construction as compared to the Bearhawk, payload and cabin size, and performance and automation of the Rotax are winning me over. I already have a Lycoming IO-0540 in my Bearhawk was not looking forward to another legacy engine, as well made and dependable as the Lycomings are, they are challenging and fuel hungry.

(I will be selling the Bearhawk as I take on the TSi build...)

I’ve only received an email response from Edward Hefner at Sling, and have not spoken with anyone else. I understand there is a demonstrator(s) in Torrance, CA, but that is a hike for me.

I’ve been binge watching OneAlphaMike on YouTube, as well as all of the Evan Brunye build videos. I would love to connect to either of those guys, or both.

As I dig deeper into the aspects of this kit plane, I am not discouraged in anyway. But I do have a TON of questions that range from one extreme to the next.

If anyone has any suggestions, advice, recommendations, etc for me, I would greatly appreciate.

(Here is my YouTube Channel that details the Bearhawk build www.bearhawklife.com.)

Thank you and I look forward to becoming a part of this community.

Rob Caldwell
Rob Caldwell
Lake Norman Airpark (14A), North Carolina
EAA Chapter 309
https://www.youtube.com/@thebaldpilot
Heftiger

Re: North Carolina Prospective TSi Builder

Post by Heftiger »

Welcome Rob!

Feel free to post the whole gamut of questions. I’m sure we all would be happy to answer any question we can.
BaldCaldwell

Post by BaldCaldwell »

You know what they say... "Be careful what you ask for!" :D

But seriously, thank you considering my questions...

These are mostly Radom questions…. (I have the price list and options from Edward for the TSi)

1. What is the Difference between Airmaster Prop and MTV-6?

2. While previously building my Bearhawk, I encountered many discussions regarding auto conversions. The hang up and outright dismissal by some was the need for a gear reduction box, or PSRU. Because the Rotax uses a prop seed gear reduction box, what is the reliability and concern with such?

3. When ordering Rotax 915iS engine package…. What’s the lead time? Any delays?

4. I am not familiar with the “External alternator”. Is this the same as a backup alternator? Is it necessary?

5. What is the LED lighting package? ($2,295). I see the wing kit comes with LED lights and wiring. All of my LED’s for the Bearhawk cost less than $1,000.

6. I see the Leather Upholstery, Carpets, etc. $6,995. What is the lead time for these? Are there other options?

7. “Avionics quoted to order”? I used Aerotronics out of Billings, Montana for my Bearhawk panel (Dynon). They did a phenomenal job! Anyone ever use Aerotronics, or similar? Is Garmin required to pair with the Rotax system? I would like to consider Dynon as I am very familiar with it.

8. “Avionics quoted to order” $6,995 (Line 32). “Full GPS IFR Avionics” $57,000 (line 48). What the difference?

9. Is the AP system 2 or 3 axis configuration? Is there Yaw damper or rudder trim?

10. Has anyone used the Dynon AP Servos on the Sling push tubes?

11. When ordering a kit, am I ordering from S Africa, or U.S.?

12. How accurate are the lead times for flat packs?

13. What are the payment terms? Deposits, etc.

14. Does Sling offer financing, or have any preferred financing partners for the kits?

15. Did I see the main wing spar is assembled and primed in the Evan Brunye build videos? What other components are preassembled in the flat packs?

16. Are fuel lines and pumps, etc, included? 3/8 lines?, gascolator, fuel shut off valve, tank sumps, etc.

17. Are FWF fuel and oil lines included?

18. What is the break in procedure for Rotax 915is?

19. Are wing root fairings, gap seals and other fairings included. Are there any fairings (or others parts) that need to be fabricated by the builder?

20. Evan Brunye shows deburring and cleaning all AL parts, but the recent factory tour video with Mike Blyth shows that being done at the factory. Does that updated from what Evan is showing?

21. I have a CNC machine that can cut AL. Are all the parts from the Sling factory cut by CNC?

22. What is the Cabin height? I am 6’ 2”

23. I see some people use Green Zinc Chromate to prime their AL parts. Others do not. Is it advisable to prime all inside facing AL? I do not live near salt water.

Many of these questions are based my experience building the Bearhawk. I was told if I can build a Bearhawk, I can probably build any kit. Mainly because there are no formal build manuals with the Bearhawk and there are so many items that are required to be fabricated and/or modified by the builder. It took me 3 years to build the Bearhawk, and I would guess 1/2 of that time was spend fabricating and modifying. The Sling kit looks so much less daunting from what I can see.

If you’ve made it this far, thank you so much for considering my questions and I appreciate any thoughts and suggestions.

THANK YOU!
Rob Caldwell
EAA Chapter 309
Heftiger

Post by Heftiger »

Here are the answers that I can help with.

3. When ordering Rotax 915iS engine package…. What’s the lead time? Any delays?
My order that arrived this year was about 8 months. I think lead times are improving.

4. I am not familiar with the “External alternator”. Is this the same as a backup alternator? Is it necessary?
You’ll get mixed answers on this. I opted for the alternator. It provides redundancy and also helps with CG with the weight for our front. Here’s a video that Midwest Panel Builders did on this topic.

5. What is the LED lighting package? ($2,295). I see the wing kit comes with LED lights and wiring. All of my LED’s for the Bearhawk cost less than $1,000.
I opted to get my LED lights along with my panel from Midwest Panel Builders.

6. I see the Leather Upholstery, Carpets, etc. $6,995. What is the lead time for these? Are there other options?
I just received my upholstery. Lead time was 11 months. Only option is $500 to match the side color panels rather than the standard gray.

9. Is the AP system 2 or 3 axis configuration? Is there Yaw damper or rudder trim?
2 axis. No yaw or rudder trim.

11. When ordering a kit, am I ordering from S Africa, or U.S.?
Order from TAF in the USA.

12. How accurate are the lead times for flat packs?
Pretty good and times are improving.

13. What are the payment terms? Deposits, etc.
50% due at time of order. Remaining plus shipping and tax at delivery.

14. Does Sling offer financing, or have any preferred financing partners for the kits?
Not that I’m aware of.

15. Did I see the main wing spar is assembled and primed in the Evan Brunye build videos? What other components are preassembled in the flat packs?
Main spars including carry through are assembled. Canopy and doors, and all fiberglass as well.

16. Are fuel lines and pumps, etc, included? 3/8 lines?, gascolator, fuel shut off valve, tank sumps, etc.
Everything included for the rubber lines. Some builders are opting to replace with teflon or hard lines to removed the 5 year rubber replacement interval.

17. Are FWF fuel and oil lines included?
Yes.

19. Are wing root fairings, gap seals and other fairings included. Are there any fairings (or others parts) that need to be fabricated by the builder?
All included.

20. Evan Brunye shows deburring and cleaning all AL parts, but the recent factory tour video with Mike Blyth shows that being done at the factory. Does that updated from what Evan is showing?
Very few holes need deburring. We checked them all of course but there wasn’t much needed.

23. I see some people use Green Zinc Chromate to prime their AL parts. Others do not. Is it advisable to prime all inside facing AL? I do not live near salt water.
Another topic of debate. The aluminum used is 6061 T6. You can do some research on that aluminum and decide. We are priming areas that will be difficult or impossible to inspect just to be sure.
BaldCaldwell

Post by BaldCaldwell »

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer these questions. The video on the external alternator was extremely informative!
Rob Caldwell
EAA Chapter 309
ibgarrett

Post by ibgarrett »

And if you need another builder to watch - I'm over at firstrivet on YT... :)
Brian Garrett
BaldCaldwell

Post by BaldCaldwell »

ibgarrett wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 10:00 am And if you need another builder to watch - I'm over at firstrivet on YT... :)
Thanks, Brian! I am already a subscriber of your channel and looking forward to watch you complete your build!
Rob Caldwell
EAA Chapter 309
gaking

Post by gaking »

Hi Rob

I've just watched your video where you posted that you've sold the Bearhawk. Your build nearly inspired me to build a Bearhawk too, but I eventually decided to go with the TSi. You did a great job there and am sure you will do the same with your new build - all the best with that.

I live in South Africa so it's a little far to shoot in to visit you, but I was across in Matthews and up in the Lake Norman area late last year to visit family, it's a beautiful part of the world, I loved it and your current location would be high on my wish list if I could get there! Maybe one day.

I'll be following your build with interest. I'm almost done with the wings - just need to sort out a challenge with the right wing tip - and have started the rear fuselage. There are a few niggles with the kit instructions, so be sure to look through all the gotcha notes on this forum and the various build logs and videos to make notes on the KAI before you tackle each section. Otherwise enjoy!

Cheers
Gary
BaldCaldwell

Post by BaldCaldwell »

Hi Gary,

Thank you for the kind words and advice!

Yes we are lucky to live where we do. Please look me up if you are ever back in the area.

Rob
Rob Caldwell
EAA Chapter 309
ianc9

Post by ianc9 »

Did you already sell the Bearhawk?
I have a friend here in Ireland who has a deposit on the kit but he may be interested a completed one.