Sling TSi - Austin, TX

Come and introduce yourself here.
usafape

Sling TSi - Austin, TX

Post by usafape »

Hello all,

New member here. I am in the process to get the empennage and wing kits for a TSi. I am a victim from Van's Chapter 11 but thankfully that happened very early in my RV14 build (I just had a small amount of cash tied to a deposit). When that happened, I started looking around and found Sling actually had a better plane for my mission profile and pocket. Pretty happy about that :D
I am looking forward to start building my dream plane!
N224KP (reserved)
TSi build started. Wings on going.
https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blproject&proj=88lircMDM
ibgarrett

Re: Sling TSi - Austin, TX

Post by ibgarrett »

Welcome to the forum!

I think the Van's conversion to Sling has been in the back of a few of our minds (at least it has mine). Was it the price or availability that caused the change?

I think you'll find the Sling build to be MUCH easier than the RV.
Brian Garrett
usafape

Post by usafape »

Several reasons are contributing to my decision, and the biggest was cost. With all changes they did, the 14's cost is very close to the TSi. Given that the TSi is a 4 seater, turbo normalized, way more economical to fly and somewhat similar performance, it just made sense to jump.
The other reason is the uncertainty I have with Van's right now. I know they will overcome (and I'm rooting for it), but it's hard for me to tie a good chunk of cash on them at the moment.
Ease of build was not much a selling point to me. They both have their advantages/disadvantages.
N224KP (reserved)
ibgarrett

Post by ibgarrett »

I do believe Vans will pull through. IMHO they're kinda in the "too big to fail" category. The pricing is going probably be a bit fluid over the next year or so before they stabilize.

The SlingTsi to me is a really good balance in everything... room (it's not the biggest, but it's not the smallest), speed (it's not the fastest, but it's not slow either), economy - kinda hard to beat the Rotax. If we were o.k. with a 2-seater I would have been looking at the VL3 as it's about the same price - but there's nearly no room in it.

With any luck I'll be flying mine in a few months. :D
Brian Garrett
Tahoebob

Post by Tahoebob »

Usafape, I'm in the same boat as you are. I received my RV-14A emp kit 10/2022 but thankfully due to life events and the laser cut part issue (I have 47 unassembled LC parts in my kit), I have barely started construction. I don't have any $ on deposit with Van's but I just received my claim letter from Vans while I was reading your post.
While I'm also hoping that they pull thru, I'm very disturbed by all the issues that caused their bankruptcy, and have been following all the discussions on VAF, facebook, and the Van's slack channel. So I'm looking at the TSi for all the same reasons as you are.
My wife and I are visiting Midwest Skysports next Wednesday to check out the Sling. Have you had a demo flight yet or did you decide to order the kit without one? If you had a flight, how does it perform compared to the RV or a certified plane like the Piper Archer?
My personal experience with the Sling was a brief look at the TSi at Oshkosh a few years ago, but at that time I was too infatuated with the RV-14 to take a serious look at it.
Brian Garrett, I see you're in Westminster, CO. I am heading out to Littleton after new years for ski season (Jan-March) (I work from home in Indiana for LM Space in Littleton and have an apartment in Littleton too). Can I visit you to check out your project sometime while I'm there? I also attend EAA chapter 301 meetings and volunteer at their young eagles events when I'm in town.
EAA Chapter 2 (Ft Wayne), EAA Chapter 301 (Denver)

Sling TSI Empennage Kit ordered February 2024
usafape

Post by usafape »

I too hope Van's turns around and succeed, for GA's benefit. I have not flown in one yet. I'm trying to find someone building or flying so I can exchange ideas.
N224KP (reserved)
ibgarrett

Post by ibgarrett »

@Tahoebob - definitely feel free to look me up. With any luck I'll be flying by March. I don't know if I'll be through the phase testing yet but I'll be around. Down at the other end of the metro area (Centennial) Aaron Stampa (I'll let him know to check in here) has been taking folks up for a demo ride and he's been mentoring me through the build process. His Sling is on year two+ of flying at this time.

I did the demo ride in Torrance before getting my kit and I can help color in some of the lines as far as performance/handling. If you've ever flown a light sport airplane - that's pretty close to how light the controls feel and the airplane is very responsive. It's almost like a "Miata" or some other low to the ground, high response type of car in the sky. Everything is very crisp on the controls. I started with Light Sport and to a certain degree missed the responsiveness of the airplane when flying anything Piper or Cessna. The closest I have found was the Bonanza line for the responsiveness - but it's a heavier responsiveness.

With the Piper/Cessna there is a bit of sloshiness to the handling and I think a lot of that has to do with the pushrod controls vs. cables.

The cabin is snug but not uncomfortable in the slightest. I can see sitting in the plane for several hours without getting uncomfortable. I did trip up to the ID backcountry with Aaron this summer. The basic rule of "if it fits it ships" was applied and even though I had a small bag in my lap both directions I wasn't uncomfortable at all.

Aarons plan has the parachute and does not have the split back seat, both of which creates a situation for the need for creative packing. I'm opting for no parachute and I have the split back, so I'll have more room and flexibility. But that's the beauty of building - you get to choose how you want to do it.

If you're going to Midwest you're definitely starting at the top from one of the best builders out there. Henry's attention to detail is fantastic and he's super knowledgeable.
Brian Garrett
WmInce

Post by WmInce »

First time builder here . . . I am seriously looking at the TSI also. I have 9 years of Rotax experience (912 ULS/light sport), which was really good.
Before the filing, I was leaning toward Van's, but after doing a lot of reading on the Vans forum, it has soured me. They may restructure, but that doesn't mean they are "out of the woods."
In the exploratory phase right now, joining an EAA chapter and making contact with other builders that are willing to share their building experience.
I am retired, with plenty of spare time to devote to it.
Bill Ince
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
Clearwater, Florida