How much part cleaning and primer to order?

Join the endless discussion of what Primer to use.
Or tell us what your thoughts are about painting your airplane.
GregV

How much part cleaning and primer to order?

Post by GregV »

Question, for a Sling TSI flat pack, does anyone have a reference point as to how much primer (Gallons, Quarts, Ounces) to have on hand for the interior spaces (inside skins, ribs, etc)?

I'd like to get per major kit assembly so as things arrive I can manage my inventory.

So Example -

Empennage = x quarts
Wings = x gallons
Fuselage = x gallons

Same thought for Simple Green and Prekote, rough gallons would be good.

Thanks ;)
ibgarrett

Re: How much part cleaning and primer to order?

Post by ibgarrett »

Hi Greg,

Flat builder here. One gallon of the simple green should work for the whole kit with the normal dilution levels recommended on the bottle. I don't think I've gone through all of mine still and I'm hopefully rolling to the airport here in the next month or so.

As for the primer, I bought I think a six pack of the self etching primer, but I wound up not going down that path because I'm going to use Corrosion X after I get it painted. The 6061 aluminum is very robust against corrosion and the Corrosion X is just a layer of protection post build. I'm certainly not for or against someone wanting to prime or alodoine, I'm just not convinced it's necessary.

Brian
Brian Garrett
BaldCaldwell

Post by BaldCaldwell »

I'm just curious... What is the Simple Green being used for? I know what it is, just wanting to understand what builders are doing with it. This is the first time I have encountered a reference to using Simple Green. Thanks!
Rob Caldwell
Lake Norman Airpark (14A), North Carolina
EAA Chapter 309
https://www.youtube.com/@thebaldpilot
GregV

Post by GregV »

SimpleGreen is just a parts degrease / wash that cleans the surface, removes the factory ink stamping and other dirt.

Parts prep is usually something like scuff / lightly sand, wash down with Simplegreen, rinse with water, dry, then prekote and then prime.

@brian - thank you as well. I've considered both ways, I recognize as well, I'm likely priming for my grand childrens benefit. One of my decision points with how much paint to get is what that cost is and do I need to go full hazmat zone, buy equipment, chemicals to clean that equipment or do i get more top of the line rattle can stuff. Although I have some people offering to loan me most of this. I want to get scope and cost, materials down while I have about 2 months before the kit arrives at my door. I enjoy painting things olive green though, so i guess i'm doing partially what makes me happy as well.
GregV

Post by GregV »

Closing off this question. I did some more asking around. People who went with the AkzoNobel primer tended to do it with 2 gallons total and since its a 2 part system that means 1 gallon of each part. Now, that milage varies slightly depending on how much waste you have, but people who used more than the 2 gallons tend to have a lot remaining.
ibgarrett

Post by ibgarrett »

@Greg - no worries on the primer part. It took me a while to realize, but I finally arrived at the conclusion that if you wanted to start a really serious bar fight with a bunch of pilots is to walk in and exclaim "no one should ever build an airplane with/without priming!" and then run away. I made that mistake once over on Pilots of America and wowzers.

Between that and "do you paint before first flight or after" is another contentious topic that could lead to fisticuffs being thrown.
Brian Garrett