Documenting a build here?

General purpose discussions.
ianc9

Documenting a build here?

Post by ianc9 »

New Years Eve here in Ireland and I'm watching the MSC PALAK (Container ship) bring my HW to me very slowly.
I've been giving some thought on how best to document the build.
I know the usual route for documenting a build is to set up your own site using Wordpress or some other platform.
I've also been lamenting the lack of traffic on this forum :( .

Maybe Slings are so easy to build compared to RVs that a forum isn't really necessary....

Anyway - My thought was to use this forum to document the build rather than setting up a separate site. Something along the lines of what I did for the Overland camper I build a few years ago (https://forum.expeditionportal.com/thre ... ing.78237/)

However, my primary concern with this approach is the longevity of this forum given the lack of traffic.

Thoughts?
WmInce

Re: Documenting a build here?

Post by WmInce »

Are you a member of EAA?
Bill Ince
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
Clearwater, Florida
ianc9

Post by ianc9 »

Ireland based so nope.
WmInce

Post by WmInce »

ianc9 wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:57 am Ireland based so nope.
EAA members (subscription required) have access to a dedicated builder's log. It's pretty good and a lot of builders have used it.
Bill Ince
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
Clearwater, Florida
lutorm

Post by lutorm »

ianc9 wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:57 am Ireland based so nope.
EAA (the national organization, not the chapters) is open to members from any country.
Blog of various projects: https://blog.familjenjonsson.org/blog/
CJONeill

Post by CJONeill »

Yes absolutely log the build! I for one would be very interested, especially being from Ireland myself!

Must be excruciating watching the ship moving so slowly

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/de ... :MSC_PALAK
wiseguy59

Post by wiseguy59 »

I've been using the EAA Builder's log, and it's great to have.
It's easy to use, and free to EAA members.
ianc9

Post by ianc9 »

I think suggesting the EAA system is missing the point.
I was suggesting doing it here in Blog form to try to drive a little more traffic to this site and also for me to better connect to the Sling build community since I will be the only person building one anywhere near my location.

However, I've not had any response to my PMs from the slingpilots.com forum admin. That makes me concerned about the longevity of this site/forum.
lutorm

Post by lutorm »

ianc9 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:31 am I think suggesting the EAA system is missing the point.
I was suggesting doing it here in Blog form to try to drive a little more traffic to this site and also for me to better connect to the Sling build community since I will be the only person building one anywhere near my location.

However, I've not had any response to my PMs from the slingpilots.com forum admin. That makes me concerned about the longevity of this site/forum.
This is not in any way a harp on the admins of this particular forum, but I would never host a build log, which is crucial to keep and maintain (and might even be a legal requirement), on a site where there's any question about support, how to back up, etc. I'd either do it on a site I own and maintain, or very carefully vet any solution I'm not in control over for the ability of backing up and porting your data to somewhere else should the need arise.
Blog of various projects: https://blog.familjenjonsson.org/blog/
ianc9

Post by ianc9 »

lutorm wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:01 am This is not in any way a harp on the admins of this particular forum, but I would never host a build log, which is crucial to keep and maintain (and might even be a legal requirement), on a site where there's any question about support, how to back up, etc. I'd either do it on a site I own and maintain, or very carefully vet any solution I'm not in control over for the ability of backing up and porting your data to somewhere else should the need arise.
I will be required to also keep an "official" log for the Irish authorities. But your point is a fair one.
It's disappointing to see so little activity here though :(