Sling HW Radio Silence ?

Model Specific Discussions about the Sling High Wing.
dparker

Re: Sling HW Radio Silence ?

Post by dparker »

My understanding is the composite part of the fuselage was redesigned after Linda's airplane was built in order to reduce weight. It sounds like the new design had some issues. Hopefully fixed now.

Dave
ianc9

Post by ianc9 »

FYI - My kit (045) arrived a few weeks ago
ifly185

Post by ifly185 »

Great, when did you place deposit?
ianc9

Post by ianc9 »

I paid 50% back in September I think
Rancho56K

Post by Rancho56K »

Just read the April newsletter and asking is claiming around 8 HW kits a month being produced. Hopefully that’s accurate because it would mean roughly 1.5yrs until my number gets called.
Markmn

Post by Markmn »

Any news here?

Any HW's flying other than than the first couple prototypes?
ifly185

Post by ifly185 »

It seems to be still silent.
dparker

Post by dparker »

Attended a fascinating talk today at Oshkosh from James, where he explained the history and culture of Sling. He was the first person from Sling to acknowledge they had had some challenges putting the sling high wing into production. It was refreshing to hear his honesty. He clearly mentioned that if you ordered today, then the kit would be shipped in six months time.

After the talk, I went over to the Sling exhibition and spent a long time trying to find somebody to talk to. The team seem to be more interested in talking to each other than engaging with customers. When I finally found somebody from the South African factory to speak to, he referred me to the USA distributor. He laughed and said deliveries were at least 18 months to two years out. Given that I ordered 18 months ago, this seems to be a big disconnect from what the factory staff is saying. Clearly it’s time to move on from Sling as they really can’t get their stories straight and look after customers.

Dave
ifly185

Post by ifly185 »

Thanks for the report. This seems to be the MO at Sling. I've reached out to Edward Hefter in the past and he just states that he doesn't know and hasn't been informed by the higher ups. You would think the marketing manager would be all over trying to placate and inform their customers. From my experience, you are correct in that they are so busy patting each other on the back and celebrating, that the customer service and communication is a low priority. From watching this industry for a long time, builder support and communications is key to a successful and strong community.
I have placed a deposit and have never heard one word from Sling about my order or thank you or anything to make me feel like they care. I sent a inquiry to their new ICE program and I did get a simple and almost annoyed response about when to expect shipping dates. It's already been two years and it seems another year to go!
Aside from your inconsistent remarks from Sling at OSH, what was your impression with the high wing? Did anything make an impression one way or the other? I assume they didn't give rides or demos.
Bob
Denver
BG8473

Post by BG8473 »

dparker wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 6:36 pm Attended a fascinating talk today at Oshkosh from James, where he explained the history and culture of Sling. He was the first person from Sling to acknowledge they had had some challenges putting the sling high wing into production.
Do you have more information about the challenges, and whether they've been fully resolved? I was hoping Sling management was waiting for Oshkosh to reveal details on the awkward rollout of the first few high wings (recalled fuselages, etc.), and make those of us on the sidelines comfortable about spending $5000 on a down payment. Disappointing to hear the Torrance California location cannot provide a solid response to those who made a down payment.