How to update GTN 650/G3X?

Model Specific Discussions about the Sling TSi.
jim@wrighthomesco.com

How to update GTN 650/G3X?

Post by jim@wrighthomesco.com »

I did my training in Torrance in December and flew my TSI back cross-country to Huntsville, Alabama. Great plane! However, during my training, I got a 5 minute lessen on how to update my avionics. I downloaded the updated data onto the SD card, but I don't remember how to upload the card to my GTN 650 and G3X. I thought I would remember, but I'm not that smart. Can anyone help.
Thanks,
Jim Wright
N1948C
ibgarrett

Re: How to update GTN 650/G3X?

Post by ibgarrett »

Hi Jim,

Midwest did a great video on this -
Brian Garrett
jim@wrighthomesco.com

Post by jim@wrighthomesco.com »

WOW, thank you! One quick question, can I load both G3X and GTN onto one card? When I was at Torrance, they used one card. And today I up-loaded onto one card. Will I have to make that call to Garmin and ask for forgiveness? Thanks for your help! Jim
ibgarrett

Post by ibgarrett »

Honestly I’m not sure. I haven’t updated anything on my panel as of yet as I’m working towards first flight. I know Garmin is pretty finicky on things, but I would hope they built the software in such a way that it would observe the data card for the files it needs and just imports them.

I also have read on other boards where something went wrong with the update and wound up bricking their G3x resulting in the owner having to pay for a new G3x. If that would have been me I’d have been beyond pissed because to me that’s super crappy engineering on Garmins part. Take that with a grain of salt though because it is third hand info.
Brian Garrett