Short elevator torque tube - help please

Model Specific Discussions about the Sling TSi.
gaking

Short elevator torque tube - help please

Post by gaking »

I've installed the short elevator torque tube as well as the fuselage bottom and side skins and the CF-CHL-039/040 components. However, I'm really not happy with the fitment of the torque tube, now that everything is riveted in place, I had to grind a LOT of the inner groove for the center vesconite bushing and it's just making me uncomfortable now so I want to remove it and do it over again, I don't like the little voice on my shoulder telling me it's not good enough. However, whilst I can find a way to get the torque tube out - with lots of effort - that one rivet at the rear of the control bush mounting bracket in CF-RIB-006-L is pretty much impossible to access with a hand riveter, even when ground down, with the floor skin installed. So I need some advice please on how to pull that rivet without removing the floor skin.

Anyone have any ideas on how to do this? I had a look at Evan's build videos again and a special tool is mentioned there - any tips as to what that may be? A normal angle tool doesn't work (I've tried it as a test fit before disassembling everything, it's not going to go in there).

Help! Please :)
ibgarrett

Re: Short elevator torque tube - help please

Post by ibgarrett »

Hey Gaking,

I know exactly what you're talking about as I had that part out of my airplane a time or two in the build process. Honestly what I wound up doing was getting a dremmel (and if you don't have one already you should get one) with a flat disk on the tip. The disk has a nice edge to it that you can very gently eat away at the rivet until it's flush with the joining parts. If you get lucky you can do that on one side and the rivet can be punched out using a bunch tool. If you have to, use the disk on the other side to do the same thing. Eventually you get down to just the nub of metal between the two parts and it comes right out.

I've had to do many many rivets that way. You just have to be patient and go slow and it'll come out.

The other thing I have used quite a bit is a 90° turn adapter for the drill. That helps in some tight spots. I think I may have used that in the location you're referencing as well.

I honestly think I had that part you're talking about in/out about 3 times trying to get it "just right"...
Brian Garrett
gaking

Post by gaking »

Hi

Thanks, yes I’ve done something similar with rivets elsewhere, Dremel is one of my go-to tools. I’m less worried about getting it out, it’s effort but possible. What I’m battling with is getting a replacement rivet in again, rivet guns just don’t fit in there between the ribs and torque tube components, even with a wedge tool and ground down gun tips, once the bottom skin is in place. So that’s my question, how to get a rivet into that one hole once the bottom skin is installed?
ibgarrett

Post by ibgarrett »

You might have some luck with this tool -

I ran across it recently when everything I had just wasn't cutting it.
Brian Garrett
gaking

Post by gaking »

Thanks, would you mind reposting the link? I can’t open it
ibgarrett

Post by ibgarrett »

That's weird - hmm - let's see if this works -

If that doesn't work - look for "Pop Rivet Gun Tool Rivet Drill Attachment Power Drill Tool Kit Cordless Rivet Gun"
Brian Garrett
gaking

Post by gaking »

Thank you, link does not work but I managed to use your description to find what you were referring to. I think it's going to be too big as well, I'll have to try to be a bit more creative.